Software customization and configuration
When you buy a business software package, after installation, the next step is to configure it to fit your needs. Eclipse Consulting can help you with all aspects of the setup, including software customization.
To start using commercial off-the-shelf software, it first needs to be setup. Some software programs include a setup wizard that make the process incredibly easy. Others require more intense efforts, and may require outside expertise to do correctly.
Software setup basics
Part of setting up any software involves:
- Creating user accounts
- Defining security roles
- Adding your company name, address and logo
- Import existing records, like vendors, customers and products
In addition, some software may have more advanced configuration options, like:
- In Quickbooks or other accounting software program, you’ll define whether you report revenue on a cash or accrual basis.
- In an email marketing system, you’ll want to create email templates, configure automations and setup alerts.
- In a shipping software, you may want to setup freight codes and local tax rates.
When a package does most (but not all) of what you need it to do, you can either find another software package and integrate it or customize the software solution.
Using the SDK (software development kit) made available by the software vendor, software customization involves taking a base pre-packaged software solution, like QuickBooks, and adding features that are unique to your organization. For example, you may take orders in from the web and create an auto-look up of shipping weight and zip code to create a custom shipping cost.
When you’re looking for software customization or configuration, Eclipse Consulting is here to help!